Tips to Get Your HVAC System Ready for Warmer Weather
March in Minnesota can’t make up its mind: one day we get slammed with enough snow to warrant school closures, and the next it’s 40 and sunny, bringing spring-time thoughts of flowers and sunshine and warmer days ahead. March weather also means your heating and cooling needs will likely go from one extreme to another. In order to get your HVAC system—and your house—in top shape, we suggest the following:
- Check your A/C equipment. Preventive maintenance can dramatically reduce the likelihood of a potential breakdown. The best time to check your A/C equipment is before you actually need it.
- Check and replace your furnace and air-conditioning filters. This should be done every season.
- Make sure your cooling system is entering summer in peak fighting condition. Maximize performance with a professional cleaning. Regular maintenance will also extend the life of your system.
- Schedule a professional duct cleaning so you’re breathing in clean air.
- Clean your dust and exhaust fans, as well as fan blades. Make sure the power is off at the main breaker box, unplug kitchen and bathroom exhaust fans, then remove the exhaust fan blades and clean with mild soap and water. Dry thoroughly before reassembling. A good way to clean ceiling fan blades is to spray a cleaning solution inside an old pillowcase and slip the case over each blade (the dust will collect inside the case).
- Replace the batteries in smoke and carbon-monoxide detectors.
- Make sure you have a fully charged fire extinguisher. You should have a fire extinguisher mounted by the door of the kitchen, and next to the front and rear home exits, as well as on every floor. Many experts also suggest keeping one in the garage. To use the extinguisher, remember the acronym P.A.S.S. Pull the pin and grab the nozzle, Aim, Squeeze the handle, and Sweep the base of the fire from the bottom up.
- Check the weather stripping around windows. If the weather stripping is damaged from snow or ice, replace where needed. This will help keep the cold air out on chilly days and cool air in when it’s uncomfortably warm outside.
- Clean window screens, inspect them, and repair any damage. You can buy window screen cleaning kits and tools from your local hardware or home improvement stores.
Take advantage of pre-season pricing and ensure your HVAC is in top working order before summer weather arrives. Call Bonfe at 651-332-6633.