Homeowners’ Guide to Keeping Your House Protected from Electrical Problems
As far as the law is concerned, homeowners and unlicensed individuals are allowed to take care of their own electrical work. However, unprofessional work can be a hazard to you and the people living in the home.
There has been a case where the homeowner did the electrical maintenance for his basement himself. The owner used electrical wires without the grommets, causing the non-insulated wires to touch the steel frames and studs. This resulted in the walls being live, had someone touched that wall they would have certainly been electrocuted. Hence, homeowners are advised to leave the electrical work to licensed professionals who have the training to take on the potentially dangerous work.
So even if most of your electrical work is being carried out by professionals, you still have a bulk of work that needs to be done. For instance, ensuring everything is in working order. Make sure the fixtures’ desired wattage matches the bulbs that are fitted in them. You can repair faulty outlets yourself, change, or repair any of the short circuited wires, etc.
Safety Guide for Electrical Fires
- Install smoke detectors in every single room, especially in the garage, hallways, and even in the stairwells. Check their batteries to ensure they are not dead. Most of the smoke detectors have test buttons on them; use them alongside battery checks.
- Replace all electrical appliances and tools which may be causing electrical shocks, sparks, smoke, etc.
- Make sure to check all wiring and electrical appliances routinely. Worn or frayed wires are considered as a major fire hazard. Replace any of the electrical cords or wires that may seem to be reaching the end of their lives.
- Look for the UL seal from Underwriters Laboratories when out buying a new lamp.
- Try to keep all the electrical appliances away from water, be wary of electrical appliances in the kitchen and bathroom.
- If you feel any of the electrical switches or outlets to be warm, prepare to have them replaced. Warm power sockets identify a problem in the wiring.
- Keep your heaters away from all combustible items, especially curtains and clothes.
- Use plugs only in the appropriate power outlets, for example, don’t try to force a two prong plug into a three slot outlet.
- If you have children in the house, make sure to properly childproof all the electrical outlets.
- Extension plugs may seem extremely convenient, however, they pose a serious risk of short circuit due to overloading the wall socket.
Although this list can be a never-ending one, with a bit of common sense, we can all secure our homes and our families from hazards of electrical fires. Don’t delay any electrical work. As long as all the basic precautions are taken, everything should be fine. Call Bonfe today for all your electrical needs.